knows that Im kind of a special player, Ja

in Plichtchallenges 09.08.2019 08:53
von mary123 • 1.541 Beiträge

Sam Groth has survived a five-set slog on the opening day of the Australian Open playoff but Marinko Matosevic wasnt as lucky, falling to talented teenager Omar Jasika.Groth struggled to find rhythm but finally cracked spirited opponent Dayne Kelly 6-3 6-7 (5-7) 6-7 (3-7) 6-4 10-8 in a match that went into a fourth hour at Melbourne Park on Monday.The 2015 Newcombe Medallist saved a match point before finally finding a fifth-set break in the 17th game, ripping a stunning cross-court backhand to break Kelly to love.He gave away break points in the following game before closing out the match against the unheralded world No.311.That was a bit tougher than I wanted but I didnt get broken all match, which is a pretty good effort, he said.Groth joined other first-day winners John-Patrick Smith, Marc Polmans and top-seeded Andrew Whittington in the last eight.The 16-man field is competing for a sole wildcard into Januarys Australian Open.Jasika caused the upset of the day with a stunning turnaround against Matosevic, ranked 12 years and 147 places his senior.The 31-year-old faces a stay in the tennis wilderness after blowing a two-set lead and a break in the third set, losing 4-6 4-6 6-4 6-3 6-4.Matosevic, 31, will now have to struggle through Januarys qualifying tournament to gain entry into the first grand slam of 2017, which would be his first major since Wimbledon 2015.The combustible former top-40 talent didnt shake hands with the chair umpire after his loss, reacting angrily to a series of line calls as the match fell from his grasp.Buoyed on by Omars Army in the crowd, Jasika drew error after error out of his opponent in the third and fourth sets before triumphing in the decider.I think they got into his head, Jasika said of his boisterous cheer squad.I think he was trying to get them out of his head but he couldnt.They were just chirping away ... and then he started to get tired and fatigued because I kept him out there in the sun.Whittington survived a major scare and a breathing problem to win his first-round match, outlasting teenage talent Max Purcell 6-3 6-3 4-6 3-6 6-2.The Melburnian coughed between points and sought medical assistance through the three-hour match in hot conditions.The womens tournament gets under way on Tuesday.AUSTRALIAN OPEN WILDCARD PLAYOFF RESULTS - DAY ONE1-Andrew Whittington def Max Purcell 6-3 6-3 4-6 3-6 6-22-Sam Groth def Dayne Kelly 6-3 6-7 (5-7) 6-7 (3-7) 6-4 10-8Omar Jasika def 3-Marinko Matosevic 4-6 4-6 6-4 6-3 6-44-Marc Polmans def Scott Jones 6-2 6-4 6-05-John-Patrick Smith def Maverick Banes 3-6 6-4 6-4 6-16-Chris OConnell def Alex De Minaur 6-2 7-6 (7-3) 6-2Gavin van Peperzeel def 7-Luke Saville 6-4 6-7 (7-9) 6-1 2-1 (ret)8-Blake Mott def Harry Bourchier 3-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-1 6-1 Rafael Marquez Jersey .B. - Sebastien Auger made 44 saves as the Saint John Sea Dogs edged the visiting Acadie-Bathurst Titan 2-1 on Saturday in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action. Guillermo Ochoa Jersey . -- The proud fathers huddled near the Dallas Stars dressing room, smiling, laughing and telling stories while wearing replica green sweaters of their sons team. http://www.nationalsoccermexico.com/jesus-molina-mexico-jersey/ . -- Playing time has been limited for Maxim Tissot this season, so the Montreal Impact defender made the most of his first scoring opportunity on Saturday. Jorge Torres Nilo Jersey . On Mar. 16, coming off a "fight of the year" performance at UFC 154 the previous November, St-Pierre faced Nick Diaz at UFC 158 in what would be his eighth defence of the welterweight title. Using his superior athleticism, St-Pierre cruised to a five round, unanimous decision victory setting up a much-anticipated title defence against number one contender Johny Hendricks. Jose de Jesus Corona Jersey . -- Bryant McKinnie came out of his stance and lowered his shoulder into a practice squad player, causing a crisp thud to reverberate in the Miami Dolphins practice bubble. LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The expectations at Kansas begin with conference championships.They hardly end there.The Jayhawks have rattled off a dozen of those in a row, and Big 12 coaches unanimously predicted Thursday that they will add another to the streak this season. But they havent been to the Final Four since 2012, an eternity for a blue-blood program like Kansas, and are seeking their first national championship since 2008.Those are the expectations now.Any team Ive played on has always had high expectations, said five-star recruit Josh Jackson, perhaps the leading candidate to be the No. 1 overall pick in next years NBA draft. And I love to win, so Im always going to have high expectations for myself and my teammates.Just how high? How about a perfect record to go along with that national championship.Were not predicting a 40-0 season, thats just what were striving for. Thats what were trying to get to, Jackson explained. If you dont believe it, youll never get to it. That is what every team is shooting for. You dont want to lose. I dont think any team wants to lose this year.Kansas coach Bill Self shook his head at the thought of a perfect record, especially considering a non-conference schedule that includes Indiana in Hawaii followed by Duke in New York -- four days apart.But he also believes the Jayhawks have a legitimate chance to compete for a national title.Young kids havent been through it enough. They dont know how hard it is to win in Ames or Morgantown or other places, Self said during the programs annual media day. But I will say this: I really think this teams goal when they play that night, their goal should be to win every game. I dont think thats an unrealistic goal.There are plenty of reasons for such optimism.Start with the returning one-two guard combination in Frank Mason and Devonte Graham that gives Kansas perhaps the best backcourt in college basketball, then throw in another returning starter in big man Landen Lucas who can provide some leadership to the frontcourtt.ddddddddddddNow, blend in returning role players Carlton Bragg, Svi Mykhailiuk and Lagerald Vick, and the loss of veteran stalwart Perry Ellis and slashing scorer Wayne Selden Jr. is a bit more palatable.Finally, add Jackson and fellow five-star recruit Udoka Azubuike to the mix.I do think having old guys who can teach young guys, and having talented young guys in every respect, and having an unknown X-factor that can take you to a place you werent capable of going the year before is the right combination, Self said, and I think we have that.The X-factor is Jackson, who arrived carrying all the plaudits that accompanied previous one-and-dones such as Josh Selby and Andrew Wiggins. But there are some very real differences in the 6-8 forward and his predecessors, including his demeanor when hes on the court.Its not that Selby and Wiggins didnt want to win. Its just that it seems Jackson wants it more.Honestly, being in practice around Coach Self, he knows that Im kind of a special player, Jackson said, and he still never takes it easy on me. He never kisses me on my butt. Hes really hard on me and sometimes I think I need that.Bragg acknowledged he didnt know much about the tradition of Kansas before joining the program prior to last season. But he quickly learned about the great players to come before him, the tradition of winning laid out by Wilt Chamberlain and others going back decades.He needs to only gaze to the rafters of Allen Fieldhouse for a reminder.It starts to come to you, he said.Bragg also understands the weight that comes with that history. The expectations of winning the Big 12 title, which would be reasonable at just about any other school, are no longer enough.You could say that, the sophomore forward said, but everybody has a team goal and our team goal is to try to win a national championship. Until then, we just have to work hard toward it. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: fashionstore
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 4290 Themen und 5078 Beiträge.

Heute war 1 Mitglied Online :
Jayae86

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen