the coaching change that led to Prices arrival

in Fotos 26.02.2019 06:26
von mary123 • 1.541 Beiträge

OMAHA, Neb. -- Creighton has three days to get ready for No. 9 Wisconsin, and judging by how the 22nd-ranked Bluejays looked in the second half of their season opener against UMKC, theyll need to make the most out of every one of them.The Bluejays won 89-82 on Friday night, but not before sweating out a comeback attempt that saw the Kangaroos cut a 28-point deficit with 13 minutes left to single digits.If were the team that scored 76 points in about 28 minutes, well be fine, Creighton coach Greg McDermott said, looking ahead to Tuesdays home game against the Badgers. If were the team that scored 13 in the last 12 minutes, were in trouble.Marcus Foster had 19 points and Maurice Watson Jr. added 17 for the Bluejays, who won their 19th opener in 20 years.UMKC, picked sixth in the eight-team Western Athletic Conference, missed nine of its first 10 shots but found some rhythm on offense as it turned up the defensive pressure in the second half. Martez Harrisons 3-pointer cut Creightons lead to 85-74, and Xavier Bishops 3 finished a 29-10 Kangaroos run that made it 86-77 with 2:08 left.Harrison, the WACs active career scoring leader, scored 15 of his 17 points in the second half. Darnell Tillman had 10 points and seven rebounds, and Duane Clark added 10 points for UMKC.Creighton is 22 in the country for a reason, Kangaroos coach Kareem Richardson said. They punched us in the mouth there in the first half, really knocked us off-kilter. To our guys credit, they did a good job sticking with it in the second half, climbing back in and making it interesting.Khyri Thomas added 16 points for Creighton, and 7-foot redshirt freshman Justin Patton finished with 12 points and eight rebounds.The Bluejays shot 59 percent in the first half but only 40 percent in the second, and they committed 17 turnovers to the Kangaroos 13.Its college basketball in November. Its not going to be as pretty as we all would like, McDermott said. I would have liked to have slammed the door on them when it was 76-48, but it didnt happen. The positive is we found a way to win the game.BIG PICTUREUMKC: The Kangaroos brought back six seniors from last seasons 12-win team. Clark is a promising freshman who made five of his first six shots, and the 6-8, 250-pound Tillman was 5 for 5. Rest assured, this is the toughest opponent theyll face until visiting No. 3 Kansas on Dec. 6Creighton: McDermott wasnt happy with the way his team played in the second half, but the Bluejays can build off this. They have capable scorers all over the floor, a point guard in Watson who can find them and perhaps a budding star in Patton.POLL IMPLICATIONSCreighton probably wont earn a promotion from No. 22 because of the way it played in the second half, but neither should the Bluejays drop out of the Top 25.HIGHLIGHT REELPatton had three dunks in his first college game, with two on lob passes on back-to-back possessions in the first half. He also tried a behind-the-back pass to Foster in the paint in the second half, but Foster couldnt convert it into a basket.TURNOVER BUGThe Bluejays committed 17 turnovers, with seven by Watson. He was one of only three Big East players to turn over the ball more than 100 times last season, and reducing turnovers was his priority coming into this season.Having seven, regardless of how many minutes I played or whatever the scenario, is unacceptable, he said. I didnt give us a chance to get shots up. When I turned it over, they would go on a run, a 3-on-1 or a 3-on-2. Thats where I need to get better.UP NEXTUMKC plays its home opener against Drake on Tuesday.Creighton hosts No. 9 Wisconsin on Tuesday.---More AP college basketball at http://collegebasketball.ap.org Michael Taylor Jersey . -- Jakob Silfverberg is making himself right at home with the Anaheim Ducks, scoring four goals in his first four games. Cheap MLB Jerseys . It might not have mattered. While the Dodgers are preparing for the playoffs, the Padres showed their future has promise behind two rookies. http://www.cheapnationalsjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-adam-eaton-jersey . Brad Jacobs and his Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., team took control of the game early. Wilmer Difo Jersey . -- Chicago Bears cornerback Tim Jennings was selected Monday to his second straight Pro Bowl, while guard Kyle Long made it after a solid rookie season. Trea Turner Jersey . -- Jakob Silfverberg is making himself right at home with the Anaheim Ducks, scoring four goals in his first four games. WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- John Collins doesnt need to stay on the court long to put up big numbers for Wake Forest.The 6-foot-10 sophomore had 22 points and 15 rebounds to help the Demon Deacons beat Charlotte 91-74 on Tuesday night, posting his fourth straight double-double.Collins has had foul trouble limiting his work, and his team-leading averages of 17.6 points and 10 rebounds had come with him averaging about 23 minutes per game.Sometimes I put myself in that situation, Collins said. Yeah I do wonder (what he could do with more minutes) but then again, I have to keep myself grounded and realize coach (Danny Manning) isnt just taking me out to take me out. Its me getting in foul trouble and something Ive got to work on.He had just one first-half foul as the Demon Deacons (7-2) ran out to an early double-digit lead and never looked back.This is one of the first games in a while that John has played defensively and done a good job of staying out of harms way in the first half, Manning said.Collins finished 7 of 11 from the field and 8 of 10 from the foul line to go with three blocks in 21 minutes, finishing two points and a rebound shy of matching career-high totals.Collins was a handful, we knew he was going to be for us, just with his size and athleticism, 49ers coach Mark Price said. We really didnt have an answer for him.Keyshawn Woods added 12 points against his former team for the Demon Deacons, who ran off 17 unanswered points in the first half to take control. Wake Forest led 45-27 by halftime and never let that margin slide to fewer than 15, earning the programs 11th straight win against instate nonconference opponents.Braxton Ogbueze had 20 points and made six 3-pointers for the 49ers (6-3), who shot just 10 of 30 (33 percent) in the opening half to fall behind big.BIG PICTURECharlotte: The 49ers werent able to string together consecutiive wins against power-5 conference opponents.dddddddddddd They were coming off a 66-63 home win against Oregon State of the Pac-12 in which they scored 25 points off turnovers, but they didnt have nearly as much success against their Atlantic Coast Conference opponent Tuesday.You go on the road against a good team like this, Price said, you cant dig yourself a hole.Wake Forest: While Collins is off to a terrific start in establishing himself as the Demon Deacons top player, Wake Forest did a better job protecting a big lead than it did when it let a 25-point margin slip all the way to four in a win against Coastal Carolina on Nov. 23. The Demon Deacons are getting plenty of practice, too, considering this was their sixth win by double-digit margins compared to just two a year ago.REUNIONWoods transferred after one season from Charlotte amid the coaching change that led to Prices arrival after the 2014-15 season and heard several boos from 49ers fans attending Tuesdays game.I dont think I was nervous, Woods said. I just played with the flow of the game, played with my teammates and got a win.ALL-STAR NAMESManning and Price played against each other in the NBA all-star games in 1993 and 1994, making this the third meeting of college head coaches who had played in the same NBA all-star game.UP NEXTCharlotte: The 49ers get an extended break before heading south to face No. 21 Florida on Dec. 17 in the Orange Bowl Classic in Sunrise, Florida.Wake Forest: The Demon Deacons make a roughly 30-mile drive east on Interstate 40 to face UNC Greensboro on Friday.---Follow Aaron Beard on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/aaronbeardap---More AP college basketball at http://collegebasketball.ap.org and http://www.twitter.com/AP-Top25 ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: TheodoreS
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 4008 Themen und 4796 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen